A well written letter of recommendation can be used as leverage when applying to top residency programs. Your recommendation letter should be written by those who have sufficient knowledge to your capabilities and posses credibility to support their reference. Here are simple ways in order for you to guarantee efficiency in your residency recommendation letter:
- Most powerful letter of recommendation will come from faculty members who have reputable clinical expertise. They will be able to professionally describe your clinical abilities, problem solving skills and leadership characteristic that will open doors for top residency programs.
- Faculty members often have tight clinical schedules so ask early if you want to get winning residency recommendation letter.
- Once you have chosen someone, make sure to provide them with an update CV, personal statement, copy of evaluation and transcript. The main purpose of a recommendation letter is to support your application through references so giving them all the necessary information is crucial.
- Make sure to research requirements on the residency program you wish to apply. Some employ specific instructions towards the inclusion of a residency recommendation letter.
- The most important part of a letter of recommendation is its content. You should be able to include information appropriate to your academic and professional status. It is advised to meet with the faculty member and discuss your important details to ensure the quality and effectiveness of your document.
- Your letter of recommendation must adhere to top standards. Aside from the quality of its content, this should also observe proper format, style, structure, tone, language and length.
- Your residency recommendation letter should be able to talk about your details, performance towards your field of expertise, relationship with the student, your potential topics, professionalism, passion for medicine, patient interactions and leadership skills.